Saturday, October 3, 2026

Le Mot du Président

 Welcome to your monthly slice of France. First of all, I would like to apologise to Simon Arlidge for misspelling his name, despite having proofread it several times. I will make sure to get it right next time Simon.

Elodie, a young French woman I met through Gabriel, is looking for somewhere to stay from 9 October (when her current dog-sitting assignment ends) until 6 November, when she’ll be moving into our home while we’re away to look after our house. So if you need someone to look after your dog, house, garden or anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact me and I’ll pass on Elodie’s contact details.

AGM and Film Night – 17 September.  Our AGM and film night on 17 September was well attended, with 27 members joining us for the evening. The film, The Chorus, was very well received, with everyone enjoying the beautiful music and voices throughout the movie. Despite a small sound glitch at the beginning, it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening and another pleasant opportunity for members to come together.

Butter late than never… In Paris, you can find shops specialising in perfumes, pastries, bread, chocolate, cheese and wine, but now it’s butter’s turn to take centre stage. Salted, truffled or even sweet, there are around 30 varieties sourced from small producers across Brittany, the Loire Valley and northern France. For all of you butter lovers, head to The Butter Shop, 3 Rue Bouchut, Paris 15ème arrondissement.

This reminds me of a family story: my Breton grandmother, who was born on a farm where they made butter – which she loved – decided one day, whilst she was still very young, to take a handful of butter from one of the blocks stored in a room set aside for that purpose. As she didn’t want to be caught, she decided to hide her handful of butter in the pocket of her apron. Although she did enjoy her butter, her theft was, of course, discovered – the pocket of her apron gave her away.

Photo contest: we ended up receiving twelve photos, although I had hoped for a little bit more, I would like to extend my warmest thanks to all the entrants and, whilst we await the jury’s selection, I have just one thing to say: Good luck.

The quiz lunch on 22 October is a brilliant opportunity to put your knowledge of France to the test, and I can’t wait to see you there, because one thing’s for sure: I know you’ll have a fabulous time.

See you all on the 22nd,

Sylvie

No comments: