Monday, June 8, 2020

From the President


Chers Amis
What a year it has been so far; and things don’t look like getting much better very quickly. We have an energetic and imaginative committee full of ideas for new projects for 2020 but the Covid 19 restrictions have prevented us from enjoying even our usual activities of watching movies, enjoying restauranting and tasting French wines. A major casualty this year will be our annual Bastille Day celebrations and depending on how things are progressing in September, we may even have to postpone our AGM. The only bright spots on the calendar have been our well patronised pétanque games which have been fully subscribed and have even had waiting lists. If you need a fix of Alliance Francaise camaraderie contact Mike Warren and put your name down for a game; there won’t be a BBQ but there will still be a socially-distanced morning tea.
As always, it’s an ill wind which blows no good and one great benefit of the Covid lockdown to me and other cycling enthusiasts in our region has been a significant reduction in the number of cars on the road who are trying to murder me every time I go out for a ride. Oh to live in France or the Netherlands where motorists are more thoughtful about sharing the road with other road users!
Last month I spoke about people, including myself, who had travel plans this year. I’m happy to let you know that the airline I booked with has provided me with a cost-free option to re-book any time until the end of calendar year 2021, as has the cruise company which was going to take us for a trip around the Baltic Sea. As an extra bonus, my travel insurer has contacted me and asked if I wanted a refund of my premiums. I hope that all of you who were planning to travel overseas have had similarly happy outcomes.
Meilleurs voeux
Rob McCombie

No comments: